The Denison Golf Club at Granville was designed in 1924 by Scottish golf course architect, Donald Ross, and opened in 1925. Ross designed the golf course for local railroad and coal magnate John Sutphin Jones to accompany his Granville Inn. In 1922, Jones entered into a development pact with the Village of Granville to build the Granville Inn and Golf Course. Jones then commissioned Ross to design and build the Granville Golf Course, known as a virtuoso in golf course design, laid out over 500 golf courses during the early 1900’s.
This course has long been noted as one of the best public courses in the Midwest. Donald Ross never hesitated to borrow from the features at any of the seaside links in his homeland of Scotland. Granville, with its 63 artfully placed sand bunkers, its elevated and rolling greens, is no exception. Granville’s hilly, wooded terrain, also provided generous opportunity for Ross to articulate what was perhaps his greatest concept in design, never contrive a hazard when one can take advantage of an element nature has provided.
While this course could be challenging to the most experienced golfer, Denison Golf Club offers four tee positions to give every skill level an opportunity to enjoy a pleasurable round of golf.